Pages

Friday 17 August 2007

Is this the final split up for System Of A Down?

*picture via myspace.com/soad (left to right): John Dolmayan (drums); Daron Malakian (guitar); Serj Tankian (vocals) and Shavo Odadjian (bass)

OK, they do not like using words "splitting up" or "breaking up", instead preferring "hiatus". But in reality, they all gone their separate ways:

Serj is working on his solo album Elect the Dead (due 23 October) and managing his record label.

Shavo is working with a band Achozen which has not yet released any songs.

John is managing his comics business and, as announced on Thursday, partnered up with Daron on his new project.

Daron is working on his new project - Scars on Broadway ... and yesterday posted the following update on his myspace page:

"Hey everyone. I just wanted to give you all an update on what's goin' on with my new band Scars On Broadway. I have partnered up with John Dolmayan who is playing drums, and I'm on vocals and guitar, etc. Accompanied by some great musicians, we are preparing to go into the studio really soon to record our debut album. John and I are really excited about this new project and can't wait to get on stage and perform live for you guys. Till then, keep a close eye on the Scars on Broadway myspace page http://www.myspace.com/scarsonbroadway, and official website http://www.scarsonbroadway.com, for the latest news, and music......and prepare to be SCARRED FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Daron Malakian"
*picture via Wikipedia


This announcement by Daron, in practice, formalised their break-up. Well, in future, they may do re-union tours, like other bands do, but...

Is this the end of era for SOAD? I wish I could be proved wrong, but I am afraid the answer is Yes...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think the problem may be the twin egos of Daron and Serj!!!
i'm upset about it too, i only discovered the band just before they split up!
Rhiannon.

Anonymous said...

I've been a system fan since the beginning in the 90's. I have a couple of questions for you Daron, I could see the evolution of the aesthetic quality of the music you played, I'm a musician myself, do you have any advice and what prompted that change.

Anonymous said...

dude they arnt gonna be done for good they are just apart for a lil while. they will get back together for i dono how long but they said it will be a long time.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, sorry for posting on such an old thread, but I just wanted to say to anonymous.... what?

It wasn't posted by him, it wasn't him, the author was quoting him. Posted by artmika at 01:54, It was posted by artmika.

Jorge Orengo said...

this is the most original sound out there! as a hiphop fan, i don't listen to too much rock..but when i do, system of a down is top on my list..the sound just NEVER gets old! wish they didn't split up just yet, but it's understandable, people have to live their lives.