Pages

Wednesday 5 January 2011

Arshile Gorky - the very Armenian art cafe in the heart of Tate Modern, London

It’s been ages I wanted to make this post - my reflections of last year’s Arshile Gorky’s major exhibit at my favourite art venue in London - Tate Modern. [Don’t ask me re the reasons for delay. I simply do not know. This is the way I write. It has to come to me - inspiration, weather, mood...]

I’ve seen Gorky before, at various art venues worldwide, but I’ve never seen such a big retrospective of his works concentrated in one place. What made this especially dear to me was the chosen venue for the exhibit - Tate Modern.


In some of Arshile Gorky’s abstract works I clearly noticed the Armenian shape of nose. Or may be it was just my imagination :)

I have to say I am not much fan of his abstract paintings as you could not find an individuality, a ‘signature’ there. They look more like studies after various artists. However, I like his portraits. This is where I can recognise ‘signature’ Gorky.


These two small paintings were so cute that became my instant favourites.

*self portrait 9 yrs old (above)
*my imaginary wife (below)

Outside the exhibit halls there was Arshile Gorky themed cafe space in the heart of Tate Modern. That was an exhibition in its own self, no less exciting, with pictures of Gorky I’ve never seen before, and his bio details. It was kind of surreal to have an Armenian corner on such a prominent display inside the Tate Modern.


And this ‘posing’ picture of Arshile Gorky, displayed in the cafe, was a revelation to me. He looks like a pretty sexy model there.

2 comments:

Rhiannon said...

I felt basically the same way about Gorky's works. Unlike you, I had never seen any of them exhibited before so was very interested to go, but yes, I definitely much preferred the portraits. Loved the cafe bit too and the film of Gorky's widow talking about him. :) They did do a similar thing with the cafe when the Frida Kahlo exhibition was on there by the way.

artmika said...

Spotted: Arshile Gorky poster at deprivation division line in London